They say that silence is consent--meaning that if one does not speak up or speak out about the events happening in one's life, then one is in agreement with those events or ideas or opinions.
I have long sat silent as I watched different social scenarios unfold. I was silent for a majority of the time because I was still formulating my own opinions about those issues--I wasn't quite sure where I stood, and therefore, didn't want to opine until I did.
I've also sat silent because of fear--fear of rejection, fear of retaliation by those who didn't agree with me, fear of being labeled, fear of sounding stupid.
As I write these words I still have those fears. I've watched many friends and loved ones attacked by people who cared more about "being right" than being in relationship. I've watched on the news as people have been verbally and physically abused by members of the opposition--and sometimes over the most seemingly insignificant details, too.
I've sat in the shadows. Watching. Waiting. Wondering when it would be my time to speak out.
I believe that time is now. And that is why I have authored this blog. Here I hope to express my views of some of the major issues of the day. I write not to slander. I write not to ridicule. I write not to injure.
I am writing because I don't agree with everything that is happening around me. I don't agree with things that are said in my presence or presumed about me because of who I am or where I am from. And I'm tired of my silence being considered consent.
And so I have decided to be silent no more.
For those of you who read this blog, I encourage you to post responses--even those that directly differ from my own opinions. I truly believe that through mutual discourse and discernment we will find the truth--and by being in communication and in relationship--we will arrive at that truth together.
And so I invite all to write what you really think, what you really feel. Agree with me. Disagree. (I like a challenge.) Just make your voice heard.
It's time to come out of the darkness. It's time to come out of the shadows. It's time to break the silence.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment